Commissioner of Oaths

Office Meeting Image

Municipal Clerks and other municipal officials are authorized to commission documents under the Affidavits Act.  Authorized staff may take various types of declarations and may administer oaths as a Commissioner of Oaths.

Please note that we do not have Notary Public status.
 Find a Notary Public or a Commissioner of Oaths contains additional direction on where to go get forms and documents signed.

Contact our office to:

  • ensure a Commissioner of Oaths is available
  • obtain assistance in determining if the Commissioner is authorized to sign your document(s)

Verified documents containing sworn statements are known as affidavits and are generally marked with the same title.  We are able to sign affidavits and it is important to note that all parties must be present and must provide valid photo ID in order to have documents commissioned.


The Clerk or other designated Commissioner of Oaths reviews the document to determine if it meets our specifications.  We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

Documents Able to be Commissioned by our Office
  • Documents generated by SWM
  • Sworn Statement for the Transfer of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Affidavit of Unregistered Vehicle
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (must include police report number)
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension documents (Proof of Life)
  • Canadian Citizenship forms
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship Hours
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP - Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Application for Change of Sex Designation on a Birth Registration
  • Name Change document
  • Immunization Health form
Documents that we are Unable to Commission
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card application
  • Court, Legal or Civil Issues related documents
  • Custody documents
  • Divorce or Separation documents
  • Documents that need to be Notarized
  • Documents related to debt
  • Letters of Invitation to obtain a visa to visit Canada
  • Power of Attorney and/or any document that is to be executed by an individual acting in their capacity as a Power of Attorney
  • Proof of Loss for Insurance documents
  • Real estate related documents, statements, transfer of land
  • Travel affidavit - consent letter for children
  • Wills, "Living Wills", Codocils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents