Southwest Middlesex is committed to being responsive to the needs of all its residents and employees. In order to meet the needs of people with disabilities, the municipality will:
- Ensure policies, practices and procedures address dignity, independence, integration and provide for equal opportunity for people with disabilities.
- Allow people with disabilities to use their own personal assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from the services offered by the municipality.
- Accommodate the accessibility needs of people with disabilities to ensure they can obtain, use or benefit from the municipality's goods, services, programs and facilities.
- Communicate with people with disabilities in a manner that takes into account the person’s disability.
The Accessibility Plan for Southwest Middlesex provides details on our municipality's commitment to accessible services. Accessibility policies are included in various documents as noted below. We encourage you to see the full documents as noted for all the details.
The municipality will establish, implement, maintain and document:
Support Person and Support Animals
- Southwest Middlesex will allow people with disabilities to be accompanied by a support person in all municipally-owned and operated public facilities. The municipality reserves the right to request a person with a disability to be accompanied by a support person when on the premises, but only if, after consulting with the person with a disability and consider the available evidence, the municipality determines that:
- A support person is necessary to protect the health or safety of the person with a disability or the health or safety or others on the premises; and
- There is no other reasonable way to protect the health or safety of the person with a disability and the health or safety of others on the premises.
- Admission fees will be waived for support persons who accompany a person with a disability.
- Southwest Middlesex will ensure that an individual accompanied by a service animal is permitted to enter the premises with the animal and to keep the animal with the individual, unless the animal is otherwise excluded by law from the premises.
Temporary Service Disruptions
If a temporary service disruption is planned the municipality will give notice of the disruption. Notice of the disruption will include the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration and a description of alternative facilities or services, if any that are available.
Use of Assistive Devices
Southwest Middlesex will allow people with disabilities to use their own personal assistive devices to obtain services offered by the municipality. If a person with a disability is unable to access a service through the use of their own personal assistive device, the municipality will work with the individual to determine an alternate means for accessing services.
Accessible Formats for Documents
- The municipality will provide alternate formats of information and communications that are produced by, or in direct control of the municipality. This does not apply to information that the municipality does not control directly or indirectly through a contractual relationship. This will be done upon request, in a timely manner and at a cost that is no more than the cost charged for the original format.
- The municipality will provide emergency procedures, plans and public safety information in an accessible format or with appropriate communication supports as soon as practicable upon request.
- When it is not practicable to provide an alternate format, Southwest Middlesex will provide an explanation and a summary of the document in an accessible format.
The municipality will incorporate accessibility design, criteria and features when purchasing or acquiring goods, services or facilities, except where it is not practicable to do so. Please see our purchasing policy.
Southwest Middlesex accepts feedback from members of the public relating to the provision of accessible goods, services or facilities to people with disabilities.
Employment and Accessibility
Southwest Middlesex is committed to being an accessible workplace.