Skip to main content

Lottery Licensing and Marriage Licenses

Lottery Licensing

Through a partnership with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, the Southwest Middlesex office issues lottery licenses to charitable and religious organizations that qualify under the Gaming and Control Act, 1992.

We are able to issue licences for charitable events such as bingo (prize boards of up to $5,500.00), raffle lotteries (prizes up to $50,000.00), bazaar lotteries, 50/50 draws and break-open tickets that are not conducted in conjunction with another licensed gaming event and where the tickets are sold within the municipality.

For your benefit we ask that any applications arrive at least 30 days prior to the date of the event and 45 days for organizations applying for the first time.

Licensing staff can assist you with your questions (including eligibility questions) concerning charitable lottery events.The full Terms and Conditions and Applications for lottery events can be obtained by calling (519-287-2015), by visiting the municipal office at 153 McKellar Street in Glencoe or by visiting Alcohol and Gaming Commission ( - search publications and forms.

Marriage Licenses

Southwest Middlesex issues marriage licenses to those who are entitled to marry in Ontario.Once issued, the marriage license is valid anywhere in Ontario for 3 months from the date of purchase.

The applicant (or applicants) apply in person to the marriage license issuer to obtain a license. They will need to bring identification, such as a birth certificate (along with any change of name certificates), current passport, Record of Immigrant Landing or Canadian citizenship card along with each person's photo identification.

You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario by license or under the authority of the publication of banns without authorization or parental consent.If you are 16 or 17 years old you may marry if you have the consent in writing of both parents. Other restrictions may apply.

If you are getting remarried after a divorce you are required to provide proof of your divorce.A copy of the Divorce Certificate can be obtained from the court where your divorce was heard.

The fee charged by Southwest Middlesex for the issuance of a marriage license is listed in our municipal fee and service by-law.

After the marriage the married couple may receive a "Record of Solemnization of Marriage" giving their names, the date of the marriage, the names of the witnesses and whether the marriage was performed under the authority of a license of the publication of banns.This is a souvenir document and not a legal record.

Marriage certificates can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar General for a fee.

Further information concerning marriage licensing if required can be obtained through:

Office of the Registrar General

189 Red River Road, P.O. Box 4600
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8
Telephone: 1-800-461-2156
Copyright 2017 Municipality of Southwest Middlesex