Keeping your property tidy is an important part of maintaining the appearance and integrity of Southwest Middlesex. In 2013 the municipality established the Yard Maintenance By-law which holds property owners responsible for the upkeep of their properties.
The Southwest Middlesex Yard Maintenance By-law is a great tool for determining what is expected of you as a property owner.
Generally for health and safety reasons the owner's obligations are to:
- Keep all grass and weeds exceeding 18 centimetres (6 inches) cut;
- Keep all garbage (including household and industrial) properly stored in containers preferably out of sight and where animals cannot attempt to get into containers;
- Keep disallowed accumulations of water (30 centimeters or more) drained;
- Draining of storm water must not inconvenience neighbouring uses including sidewalks and streets;
- Never bring domestic waste and/or industrial waste and/or refuse on private and/or municipal land without lawful written authority;
- Licensed vehicles need to be properly stored as well.
To report a complaint please contact the Southwest Middlesex office - complaints must be submitted in writing.